I was able to visit with my sister Tara most of the day yesterday. Very sadly, it was in the ER. While I was there I was also able to people watch. Here are some highlights of ER admissions to Mercy Hospital Thursday:
There was the man who entered the emergency room with his two ears burned. “What happened?” asked the admissions clerk. “Well”, the man explained, “my wife was ironing clothing, behind my chair while I was watching TV. She put down the iron next to the phone and when the phone rang I answered the iron.” “Wow that is terrible” responded the clerk, “and what happened to your other ear?” “Well” the guy responded “Right afterwards, the phone rang again!”
A 28-year old male was brought into the ER after an attempted suicide. It seems the man had swallowed several nitroglycerin pills and a fifth of vodka. When asked about the bruises about his head and chest he said that they were from him ramming himself into the wall in an attempt to make the nitroglycerin explode.
The most nonemergent ER visit while I was waiting was really funny: A male adolescent came in at 11 A.M. with a complaint of belly button lint. Seriously!!
Given enough time sitting in a freezing cold ER waiting room a pattern begins to emerge and almost everything can seem humorous … eventually, and after something to eat.
PS: My sister is resting and going to see a full recovery without more trips to the ER.